So I'm going to quickly catch you up on what's been happening in my life here over the past couple of days. I have no idea when the last time I sat down and blogged was, I only know it was too long ago, so here's your quick glimpse into my life here in Ghana.
1. My hair is braided as of Saturday, about two feet long and red. It's gorgeous; I love it. Pictures can be found via the group blog here: http://gieughana.blogspot.com/ <- more details about many of the group activities can be found here. Take a look as soon as you're done reading this post!
2. Banku is quickly becoming one of my new favorite foods, with okra stew.
3. I was chosen to have a fantastic experience and meet the Queen Mother of Madina Market- one of the huge Markets here around Accra. Repped not only UM, but the US. Great experience.
4. Woke up to rain and horses whinnying outside of my window the other day. That was incredible, I thought I was seeing things.
5. Saw monkeys today. Took lots of pictures. One reminded me of Jason. ha!
6. World Cup mania everywhere. Exciting and I've seen so many jerseys everywhere, many people support Manchester and Arsenal, of course, I'm excited whenever I see an Arsenal Jersey.
7. I handwashed my own laundry. Quite an accomplishment.
8. Went to a film festival here on Tuesday night, saw three films- all documentaries: one on prayer camps, one on the former Emperor of Ethiopia, and the third on the first female journalist in Senegal. Very well done, they were fantastic.
9. Don't want to think about how much time I have left here, too sad.
10. The UG girls in our group are great. My roommate Franka, particularly, is something else.
11. Had pizza the other day- much smaller and less everything- similar-ish to Silvio's in Ann Arbor as far as the crust goes, tried two pieces of Hawaiian and wished I had my camera with me.
12. I'm exhausted and heading to bed early tonight. Sad, but needs to happen more here. The sun drains your energy!
13. I'm keeping track of how far I walk each day, thought it would be an interesting experiment, so I bought a pedometer before I left Michigan and have worn it each day I've been here. The first day we were here, we walked almost 7 miles, since then it's been about 3-5 a day. It's a good workout.
14. According to Franka, this morning when I woke up, she decided that I looked "very white" today. So I'm trying to change that, but for some reason I'm not really tanning? I have a little color. Hopefully this weekend's excursion to Cape Coast will change that! I don't look like I'm in Africa right now. I might as well be in Michigan or something where the sun doesn't shine in May.
15. I need to buy more dresses.
16. Did I mention how warm it is here? I think I'm going to lose 5 pounds of just sweat while I'm here, seriously. It's intense- thus, the sauna.
17. You should really check the group blog.
18. I see so many gorgeous printed fabrics everywhere I go- Shif would be in absolute heaven.
19. Speaking of Heaven, it 's interesting that almost every open shop in all of the markets has something to do with "god" in it's name. One of my favorites thus far is " God's time is the best" - makes me think and reminisce about Kairos.
20. Also about religion here in Ghana- I did not realize the extent of Christianity that exists here. It's such a culture shock from the US.
21. Music. People here like country music! Jacci, yes, many Africans like country! Also, Rihanna is easily the most loved female artist here.
22. "Swagger" is our group's favorite song.
23. American music is so influential, I hear it everywhere. Very familiar songs, though it's a totally different context and experience to hear them here instead of with friends back home.
24. Victoria, I promise I will buy you a dress soon.
25. I'm excited for the Cape Coast trip on Saturday. We are going to Kakun National Park, it has a canopy walk and waterfalls, and we are also visiting a slave castle. Should be an emotional but good day. We also have to wake up and be ready to go by 6am...least favorite part, which should be a surprise for none of you.
That's it for now! Check the group blog I posted in the first point! :D
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment