Friday, May 21, 2010

AWESOME.

Day in 5 bullet points, since it's 11:30 here and I have to wake up at 5am tomorrow morning:

1. 1st day of training with the U-G Women's Volleyball team. Great fun, as it turned out to be my roommate Franka and I for about an hour and a half before the Men's team showed up. (The girls showed up later...) The coach was instructing me on form, technique, etc. I am very sorry that I will not be here through June 10th, as he was interested in training me and teaching me the game so I could compete with the University of Ghana Women's Team in the Ghana University Games- about 6 or 7 of Ghana's top universities are coming to U-G from June 4-10 and playing tournaments. I wish I was around. That would be amazing! Regardless, he seems willing to train me- so I am so happy about that. 5:30 AM and 3PM Two-a-day's anyone? For now I will stick with the 3p as much as possible, as 5:30 is a stretch for at least a couple of days....

2. We just returned from the Street Dance 2010 Africa Semifinals. Wow. Totally America's Best Dance Crew, but all the crews are Ghanaian. It was an amazing competition! First round, all the crews had to dance to BEP's Boom Boom Pow, and the second was to their own mashups. Second round was much better. The amount of energy, people rushing the stage...it was such a fun experience.

3. Went to Madina Market this morning to make the initial contacts for our Photovoice project...I realize I have been lacking in the department about describing the project...one day I will describe more of it in detail. For now, we paired up and talked to different women. Franka was lucky enough to draw us the Cloth ladies, the ones who sell all the beautiful printed fabric at the Market. I haven't bought anything from them yet, but I know I will be back at least 5 more times, so I have time. I did buy a pair of small earrings, as my pearl earring for my third hole (cartilage piercing) fell out. Ah, I was devastated when I discovered that this morning. Especially since I didn't think to bring extras. And that earring I bought today is no good. I'm afraid the hole is going to close if I don't get to the mall soon. I think I will head there on Sunday if possible, as I need a gold or silver stud...which there is no way to find at the market- everything is costume jewelry. Who would have thought this would be so complicated? Huge bummer. I was also trying to avoid going to the mall...too commercial as I would rather support the market women. Alas, in a situation like this, I can't help it.

4. Dinner tonight was a fried chicken drumstick, a slice of watermelon, and curried rice!! I was so excited, I actually finished everything- first time since I've been here since the portions are huge when it comes to rice and starches (Franka tries to feed me all the time, she thinks I don't really eat...I'm just nowhere near used to the amount of food they give you here yet!)

5. We are going as a group to Cape Coast tomorrow all day- waking up at 5 to be on the bus at 6. No worries, planning on sleeping more on the bus and additionally, planning ahead and setting everything out. We are going to Kakun National forest and the slave castle, also, potentially the beach. Psyched.

Good night! OH, I also can't believe that my stay is almost halfway over...I have so much to do and see, ah I am not going to mention it again.

Have a good night, Ghana, and good evening in Michigan! :)

1 comment: